Old Fashion Chow Chow Relish
2 cups diced green bell pepper
2 cups diced sweet red bell pepper
1 ½ cups diced firm green tomatoes
2 cups diced sweet onion
1 ½ cups diced green cabbage
1 tablespoon kosher salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup water
¾ teaspoon dry mustard
1 ½ teaspoons mustard seed
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon celery seed
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1. In a large non-reactive skillet, bring water, salt, sugar and spices to a simmer.
2. Add vinegar and bring to a boil before adding all vegetables.
3. Stir to coat all the vegetables, reduce heat to medium and continue to cook and
stir for approximately 5-10 minutes until the vegetables to become tender.
4. Transfer to glass jars and refrigerate.
5. Will keep for 2-3 weeks in a refrigerator.